The student news site of Harlan County High School

Bear Tracks

Anama-Green to lead state language group

Harlan High School Principal Edna Burkhart presented an award to Spanish teacher Emmanuel Anama-Green for his recent selection as president-elect of the Kentucky World Language Association.

John Henson

John Henson

John Henson, Bear Tracks adviser

Emmanuel Anama-Green works to bring the world to his students as a Spanish teacher at Harlan County High School, providing a variety of ways for the local teenagers to communicate in another language.

He has now put Harlan County in the center of language education in Kentucky with his recent selection of president-elect of the Kentucky World Language Association. He will represent all foreign language teachers in Kentucky and will work closely with members of the World Language Association.

“We are very proud of Mr. Anama-Green for this statewide honor and all the extra work he puts in to help his students at HCHS,” said Harlan County High School Principal Edna Burkhart.

In this position, Anama-Green will also coordinate the annual state conference of the Kentucky World Language Association. During the University of Kentucky’s recent World Languages podcast, Anama-Green was interviewed about this role while still in Mexico completing post-graduate work. He has represented Harlan County several times at the state level.

“I am so happy to be able to serve in this position and represent Harlan County Public Schools at a state level,” Anama-Green said. “Kentucky has been recognized nationally for its excellence in pedagogical practices of world languages. To be the president-elect of a state organization that is also recognized nationally, and be a teacher from Harlan County Public Schools, makes me rest peacefully at night knowing that I am providing my students the best possible example that I can.”

A native of Booneville, Anama-Green graduated from Southern Oregon University and received a master’s degree from Morehead State University. He is working toward a doctorate in education.

He is in fifth year as a teacher at Harlan County High School and has been teaching for nine years overall.